(TNS) - Dozens of wildfires continued to ravage the Pacific Northwest, particularly Washington state, as more firefighting equipment and manpower arrived from across the nation over the weekend.
Twelve uncontained fires in Washington covered more than 600,000 acres Sunday, according to the National Interagency Fire Center. Gov. Jay Inslee’s office said more than 200 homes had been destroyed and 12,000 homes remained threatened.
More resources to battle the blazes became available after the Obama administration declared a federal state of emergency in the area last week.
National Guard Blackhawk helicopters from Colorado, Minnesota and Wyoming headed over, Inslee’s office said in a statement. An incident management team from San Diego went north to oversee a new staging area at Fairchild Air Force Base near Spokane, the governor’s statement said, and 20 large fire engines “specifically designed to protect threatened communities and residences” were coming from Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and Utah.
(TNS) - Once powerful Hurricane Danny continued to weaken, dropping to tropical storm strength late Saturday — but remaining on a track that could steer it or its remnants toward South Florida by late this week.
Forecasters said the storm — with maximum winds dropping to 60 mph in the National Hurricane Center’s 11 p.m. update — was expected to continue weakening over at least the next two days.
“By Thursday, it is expected to be a depression,” said National Weather Service meteorologist Dan Gregoria.
The five-day track shows that Danny, an unusually small storm, could be anywhere between Cuba and the Bahamas by Thursday afternoon. If the storm holds together, South Florida could be poised to fall in the five-day forecast cone.
When Hurricane Katrina slammed into New Orleans 10 years ago this week, countless businesses were submerged in water and were partially or totally destroyed. Those without reliable disaster recovery operations in place paid an enormous price. In many ways, those with reliable disaster recovery operations in place paid an enormous price, too. But at least for them, their core business operations were unscathed.
A compelling example of the rewards of that foresight and preparedness is the case of Cooperative Processing Resources (CPR), a debt management system software provider in Richardson, Texas. CPR, which oversees a network of agencies that provide credit counseling services to consumers, has a New Orleans office that took a direct hit from Katrina, and was shut down. The good news is that the services provided by that office were back up and running within an hour.
That near-instantaneous recovery was made possible by the data hosting and disaster recovery operation that CPR has had in place since 2002 with Wayne, Pa.-based Sungard Availability Services. I recently had the opportunity to speak with CPR president Kate Campion about her company’s disaster recovery operations, and I began the conversation by asking her about the backup strategy the company had in place since its inception in 1994, and before Sungard AS came along. For many IT veterans, her response will bring back a lot of memories:
High-performance, hybrid facility also awarded ENERGY STAR rating; certifications address organizations’ growing demand for green data center design and energy efficiency
ATLANTA – Internap Corporation (NASDAQ: INAP), a provider of high-performance Internet infrastructure services, today announced that its New York Metro area data center, located in Secaucus, N.J., has received two highly coveted ratings for green design and energy efficiency. The facility is the first in New Jersey, and one of only a select few around the country, to become LEED Platinum certified by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), which is recognized across the globe as the primary mark of achievement in green building. Internap’s data center has also achieved ENERGY STAR certification, a program run by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to identify ways in which energy efficiency can be measured, documented and implemented in data centers.
“According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, U.S. data centers are expected to use a staggering 139 billion kilowatt hours of energy annually by 2020. Businesses are becoming increasingly aware of the potential environmental impact and seeking data center infrastructure providers that build and operate facilities with sustainability in mind,” said Randy Ortiz, vice president of data center design and engineering at Internap. “Achieving top LEED Platinum and ENERGY STAR ratings is a testament to Internap’s continued leadership in designing the most energy efficient data centers possible and reinforces our commitment to the growing number of customers who prioritize sustainability.”
Receiving both LEED and ENERGY STAR certifications reflects the innovative green design of Internap’s Secaucus facility, which incorporates outdoor air economizers, variable frequency drivers on chillers and pumps and cold aisle/hot aisle containment zones. While the ENERGY STAR rating focuses solely on the energy-efficient power supplies and reporting on power consumption and savings, LEED looks at a variety of factors that contribute to the sustainability of a data center, from building materials to indoor environmental quality and the efficient use of water. LEED also considers external sustainability factors associated with employee access to public transportation and whether the building is addressing environmental priorities for the geographic region. Notable metrics that contributed to Internap’s LEED Platinum certification included:
- Energy efficiency – 97 percent of the equipment Internap used for the facility was ENERGY STAR certified, including the computers, printers and refrigerators. This led to a near perfect ENERGY STAR equipment rating.
- Waste management – Internap put in place a highly efficient construction waste management plan to direct building teams on recycling policies. As a result, 91 percent of all construction and demolition debris was diverted from landfills and redirected to recycling facilities.
- Local materials – 58 percent of all construction materials were manufactured regionally, within a radius of 500 miles. The USGBC recognizes any building that uses at least 20 percent of its construction materials from local sources as a significant achievement, making Internap’s results exemplary.
- Water conservation –Internap’s high-efficiency water closets, urinals, lavatories and sinks resulted in water usage reduction of 46 percent.
- Recycled building materials – 44 percent of all construction materials contained recycled content from pre- and post-consumer materials.
- Green cleaning and green pest control – Internap’s green cleaning and pest control program creates an environment that is free of hazardous chemicals and improves air quality.
Opened in 2013, Internap’s New York Metro area data center was designed to serve customers’ growing demand for hybrid infrastructure services that can address a wide range of performance-sensitive applications and workloads. The highly redundant and scalable facility offers high-density colocation and managed hosting services, with the ability to support power draws of up to 18kW per rack for more efficient customer growth. The data center also features Internap’s OpenStack-powered public cloud and bare-metal cloud. Internap’s infrastructure services are powered by the company’s global Performance IPÔ connectivity and Content Delivery Network, which leverage patented Managed Internet Route OptimizerÔ (MIRO) technology to deliver application traffic over the fastest Internet path more than 99% of the time.
Internap also holds a mix of LEED, Green Globes and ENERGY STAR certifications at its data centers in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angelesand Santa Clara, underscoring the company’s continued focus on green design and energy efficiency. Internap’s Santa Clara data center was the first in the U.S. to achieveGreen Globes certification, a green building assessment program that helps commercial building owners advance environmental performance and sustainability through rigorous third-party assessment and comprehensive site visits.
- Blog – NY Metro Data Center Receives LEED Platinum and ENERGY STAR Certifications:
- Data sheet – New York Metro Data Center:
Tweet this news: http://buff.ly/1JqCweU
Internap is the high-performance Internet infrastructure provider that powers the applications shaping the way we live, work and play. Our hybrid infrastructure delivers performance without compromise – blending virtual and bare-metal cloud, hosting and colocation services across a global network of data centers, optimized from the application to the end user and backed by rock-solid customer support and a 100% uptime guarantee. Since 1996, the most innovative companies have relied on Internap to make their applications faster and more scalable. For more information, visit www.internap.com.
Delivers Real-Time Weather Intelligence for Improved Planning and Response
Officials now have a powerful new tool to help protect their communities: minute-by-minute and neighborhood-by-neighborhood.
Baron, the world leader in Critical Weather Intelligence, is reinventing local public safety with the new Baron Threat Net service, meeting the growing demands on local safety teams to plan, guide, respond and protect extended areas facing a wide range of weather threats. This new state-of-the-art solution is a combination of exclusive and dynamic data direct from Baron, combined with the ability to see and interact with life-saving information in the field on mobile devices.
Long recognized as providing the industry’s best severe weather forecasting and tracking system, Baron has worked with leading public safety agencies around the world to design a new way for emergency responders to access advanced life-saving intelligence. “The Baron team is a partner with leading emergency responders, so we know how important it is that they get clear and instant alerts for threats, particularly during complex storms where indications of critical weather could be easily overlooked,” said Bob Baron, founder and Baron CEO. “Our commitment is to make sure you always know what you are facing and how best to respond,” he concluded.
Baron Threat Net includes:
- 18 Baron exclusive mission-critical weather data products, including patented technology for the monitoring and detection of weather threats
- 50 data products to enhance situational awareness
- High resolution mapping down to minute-by-minute street-level tracking
- A new web-based format easily accessible with any browser, and optimized for presentation on all tablets
Never before has so much weather data been available in one place. Moreover, Baron Threat Net doesn’t just duplicate other displays – it offers vital information not available through any other weather system. In a format that is easy to use and to explain to others, this new display and exclusive data allows emergency response teams to show other agencies and community leaders the dangers that weather brings to every community.
“So far it’s been great,” said Phyllis Little, Cullman County EMA Director, who, like many emergency response leaders, is always going where her team is needed. “I like that both my Deputy and I can use it at the same time,” she added. “Baron Threat Net is quick and easy to use on any of our devices, including our iPad, tablet PC, laptop and desktop computers. Then if I’m on location, like at a school during a severe weather event, I can quickly show others the detailed weather situation, which is right there at my fingertips.”
Baron’s meteorological hardware, software and data are indispensable tools for organizations, businesses and individuals critically impacted by weather conditions. Baron’s world-class scientists are continuously inventing new and more effective ways to collect, interpret, package and display real-time, hyper-local meteorological information so that those who depend on the most precise weather intelligence for their safety and livelihood have access to professional decision-making solutions. Baron delivers Critical Weather Intelligence when precision matters. For more information, visit http://www.baronweather.com.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – HiMEX, a recognized leader in complete end-to-end Usage Based Insurance solutions announced today that Towers Watson, a global professional services company, has designated HiMEX as a preferred usage-based insurance (UBI) provider in conjunction with the Towers Watson DriveAbility ® service.
This relationship provides insurance companies the opportunity to leverage Towers Watson's DriveAbility ® score, along with HiMEX's game changing suite of UBI products and solutions to attract and retain customers, improve driving behavior, and lower the cost of claims. Incorporating the DriveAbility ® service along with the power of HiMEX's world class UBI technology, offers insurance carriers an end-to-end UBI solution that is rapid to market, cost effective, and minimizes draw on internal resources.
Joe Armeni, SVP of Insurance Solutions with HiMEX said: "HiMEX is extremely excited to have the Towers Watson preferred provider designation and to be able to jointly offer to companies the opportunity to seamlessly take advantage of the market leading products and services we both provide."
Insurance companies who leverage both the DriveAbility ® service and the HiMEX suite of UBI products and services will experience the most innovative and consumer-driven usage based insurance solution available today. The HiMEX difference includes:
- Ignition™ – Our comprehensive infrastructure that supports the entire end-to-end UBI implementation for an insurance carrier. The HiMEX Ignition™ system includes devices and networks, telematics and operational data, analytics, logistics platforms and a call center operation.
- MiWorld™ – The HiMEX unique virtual world community and live 3D map platform that allows an insurance carrier to shape their customers' digital UBI experience through delivery of engaging entertainment, value added and cost savings services. MiWorld™ is the first UBI program that uses proven gamification and social-based incentives to improve driving behavior and increase consumer loyalty and retention.
- ICE™ – The HiMEX Intelligent Claims Environment™ is our cutting edge claims tool that uses automatic crash detection and notification to compress and automate the claims lifecycle to reduce fraud and adjustment costs while increasing consumer satisfaction.
- MiCar™ – The HiMEX automotive diagnostic tool that delivers drivers all they need to manage their cars' safety, health, and maintenance.
- MOBi™ - HiMEX's smartphone solution allows insurers to reap all the benefits of a UBI program and deliver distinctive service and value to customers through the MiWorld™ platform without the use of a dongle device installed in the vehicle.
Robin Harbage, global lead for Towers Watson's UBI product delivery said: "Towers Watson and HiMEX have successfully deployed a compelling offering for the auto insurance industry marketplace. Accordingly, we're pleased to provide our clients with another UBI solution, and look forward to continuing work with HiMEX."
Founded in 2010, HiMEX Group offers the shortest, fastest and most complete route to the benefits of usage-based insurance, smart fleet management, and connected claims. Leveraging the unique MiWorld(tm) virtual 3D platform, the HiMEX difference is a fun, engaging customer experience designed to positively change driving behavior and attract new customers.
Dedicated Office Space for Personnel in the Event of a Disaster
DALLAS, Texas – Carrier-1 Data Centers, one of the largest data center facilities in North Texas, has opened their Business Continuity Center. The 10,000 square foot BCC offers premium office space with customizable configurations and security options. The center includes a kitchen, restrooms and conference rooms. Private and shared options are available.
"Businesses should implement a disaster recovery solution before a catastrophe occurs," says Peter Pathos, CEO. "Now is the time to be proactive against a weather disaster, power outage, fire, loss of key personnel or any other event that could take your data off-line."
Class-A office space for personnel and data center space offering colocation solutions within the same building is unique. Flexible network connectivity and direct access to the on-site data center allows for quick recovery from any disruption to IT operations. Carrier-1 BCC customers are live now and have already conducted testing with seamless results.
Business Continuity Center features:
• Class A office space connected to enterprise class data center
• Hundreds of seats available with custom configurations including private offices
• Options for IP phones, desktop PCs, monitors and KVMs
• Directly connect to data center racks and private cages
• One-hop access to multiple Tier-1 network backbones
• Conference rooms
• Restrooms/Shower facilities
• 24/7/365 security and facility support
• 24/7/365 remote hands and eyes services available
• Activation point of contact
• Hundreds of hotels conveniently located nearby
• 4 miles from Dallas Love Field Airport
About Carrier-1 Data Centers
Carrier-1 owns and operates a 106,866 square foot data center building in Dallas, Texas. Customers may lease colocation space within the building to utilize the redundant infrastructure and environment controls to maintain 100% uptime while receiving access to over 95 network carriers. The facility meets any compliant requirement including PCI, HIPAA and SOX. Multiple racks, Virtual-PODs, private cages and powered shell space are available now with plenty of space for expansion.
VMware Fusion 8 Delivers the Ultimate Windows on Mac Experience
PALO ALTO, Calif. – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today announced the release of VMware Fusion® 8, which includes over 50 new features, and is ready for the latest Apple and Microsoft innovations to deliver the ultimate Windows on Mac experience. VMware is also releasing VMware Fusion® 8 Pro, with over 60 new features, including leading edge capabilities and cloud integration designed for advanced users and technical professionals.
"VMware Fusion enables Mac users to take full advantage of all the innovative features and capabilities available in Windows 10 such as Cortana or the new Edge browser," said Nicolas Rochard, director, product marketing, End-User Computing, VMware. "With Apple OS X El Capitan readiness, up to 65 percent faster graphics(i), and an incredible cloud incentive program for our VMware Fusion Pro users to make the most of VMware vCloud Air, the value delivered by VMware is greater than ever before."
VMware Fusion 8
VMware Fusion 8 is designed for individuals searching for an easy, fast and reliable solution to run Windows on a Mac without rebooting. With seamless integration that enables Windows applications to run like native Mac applications, VMware Fusion 8 is the ideal solution for Mac users who want the best of both worlds.
Key new enhancements in VMware Fusion 8 include:
- Built for Microsoft Windows 10 - VMware Fusion 8 lets users take advantage of the latest features in Windows 10 like Cortana, the Microsoft speech-enabled virtual assistant, or the new Edge web browser. Users can quickly, easily and safely install new or upgrade existing virtual machines to Windows 10 with VMware Fusion 8.
- Ready for Apple OS X El Capitan - VMware Fusion 8 is ready for Apple OS X El Capitan. Users can run VMware Fusion 8 on El Capitan public beta today with confidence or install El Capitan in a virtual machine to test its new features, capabilities and application compatibility without disrupting the current Mac environment.
- Enhanced Graphics Engine - With added support for DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, VMware Fusion 8 can deliver up to 65 percent faster graphics over the previous version, giving users more responsive and fluid graphics for day to day work while delivering maximum performance for highly demanding 3D applications.
- Ready for the Latest Macs - Whether running Windows on the latest Macs such as the iMac Retina 5K or connecting Retina Macs to 4K displays, VMware Fusion 8 offers users a crisp Windows on Mac experience on mixed environments. For Mac laptop users, VMware Fusion enables power coming out of their Mac's battery to be used as efficiently as possible, and provides adaptive graphics switching to give users the ultimate performance while least impacting battery life.
VMware Fusion 8 Pro
VMware Fusion 8 Pro takes virtualization on the Mac to the next level with unmatched features designed for technical professionals that want to run Windows and Linux applications on a Mac without rebooting. With added support for the latest Windows, Linux and Mac operating systems like Windows 10, Ubuntu 15.04 or OS X 10.11 El Capitan Preview, advanced users, developers, QA and IT admins can rely on VMware Fusion 8 Pro for its high performance, reliability and leading edge Mac virtualization features.
Key enhancements in Fusion 8 include:
- From the Mac to the Cloud - Native integration with VMware vCloud Air is now available and can be used to securely back up local virtual machines to the cloud, or build websites and apps locally before pushing them to the cloud for production.
- VMware vCloud Air Incentive Program - To help users get familiar with the benefits of cloud computing, VMware Fusion 8 Pro customers are eligible to receive $600 in vCloud Air service credit to use for up to 6 months -- twice the standard VMware vCloud Air sign-up offer.
- VMware Ecosystem Integration - VMware Fusion 8 Pro has improved integration for connecting to, creating and running virtual machines hosted on VMware vSphere, VMware ESXi or VMware Workstation servers. Control and download virtual machines from remote servers and turn them into local Fusion Pro virtual machines, or upload local virtual machines to vSphere directly from Fusion Pro.
- Built for Developers - Customers can use modern 3rd party tools such as Chef, Hashicorp Vagrant or Docker Machine to automate virtual machine and container deployment, or build universal applications for Windows 10 devices without ever leaving the Mac.
- Complex Virtual Networking - With updated networking controls, including IPv6 NAT support, and compatibility with the VMware ecosystem, VMware Fusion 8 Pro users can recreate complex cloud architectures right on the Mac to demonstrate or validate design before implementation.
Centralized Management of Distributed Virtual Desktops
VMware Fusion customers interested in centrally managing virtual machines can upgrade to VMware Horizon FLEX. With the ability to centrally provision, manage and secure virtual desktops and applications running locally on Macs using policy-based controls, VMware Horizon FLEX is the ideal solution for customers who are looking to provide added management capabilities to their VMware Fusion install base.
Availability and Pricing
VMware Fusion 8 and VMware Fusion 8 Pro are available immediately for download and purchase from vmware.com for $79.99 and $199.99 respectively. VMware Fusion 8 Pro is also available from VMware partners and distributors.
Customers who have purchased VMware Fusion 7 or VMware Fusion 7 Pro between July 29, 2015 and August 25, 2015 are eligible for an electronic upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 or VMware Fusion 8 Pro at no additional cost. Learn more about the VMware Fusion electronic upgrade program here.
VMware Fusion 6 and 7 customers can upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 for only $49.99 and to VMware Fusion 8 Pro for $119.99 at the VMware online store.
Parallels Desktop customers can upgrade to VMware Fusion 8 or VMware Fusion 8 Pro and save 40%. Learn more here.
Download a free trial at the VMware Fusion trial page.
VMware Fusion is available in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and Japanese.
- Learn more about VMware Fusion and VMware Fusion Pro on the VMware Fusion Blog.
- Follow the VMware Fusion team on Twitter and Facebook.
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
VMware, VMware Fusion, VMware Fusion Pro, vSphere, ESXi, vCloud, vCloud Air, VMware Workstation, Horizon, and Horizon FLEX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
(i) Performance metric based on VMware testing.
Delivering Next-Generation Local Desktop Virtualization Performance With Support for Windows 10
PALO ALTO, Calif. – VMware, Inc. (NYSE: VMW), a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility, today announced the newest version of its leading PC virtualization solution, VMware Workstation™ 12 Pro. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is ready for Microsoft Windows 10, and introduces over 40 new features to support the latest software and hardware innovations in the industry.
"For more than 16 years, VMware Workstation™ has continued to streamline the way technical professionals operate in the enterprise," said Nicolas Rochard, director, product marketing, End-User Computing, VMware. "Out of the box, VMware Workstation 12 Pro will work seamlessly with Windows 10, allowing developers and IT administrators to easily test for application compatibility prior to production deployments and enable maximum uptime and availability."
VMware Workstation 12 Pro
With support for the brand new release of Windows 10 and the latest Linux distribution, VMware Workstation 12 Pro transforms the way technical professionals develop, test, demonstrate and deploy software by running multiple x86-based operating systems simultaneously on the same PC.
- Built for Windows 10 - VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables IT professionals and developers to test and develop for Windows 10 with their existing Windows or Linux PC. Users can take advantage of the latest features in Windows 10 like Cortana, the personal digital assistant and the inking capabilities in the new Edge web browser, or begin building universal applications for Windows 10 devices.
- Enhanced Graphics Engine - With support for Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables and expands the type of 3-D graphics applications that can run inside a virtual machine.
- Improved Performance - VMware Workstation 12 Pro offers performance improvements that enhance productivity and the user experience. With performance improvements of up to 3x when suspending or resuming encrypted virtual machines, up to 36 percent faster 3-D graphics, and improved echo and noise cancellation when using Skype and Lync VoIP calls within a VM -- highly demanding applications can be faster and more efficient than ever before.(i)
- Ready for the Latest PCs and Tablets - VMware Workstation 12 Pro has been optimized to support high resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) displays for desktops and QHD+ (3200x1800) displays used in laptops and x86 tablets providing users with a crisp and detailed experience. Workstation 12 Pro also benefits from improvements in handling mixed environments between standard resolution PCs and 4K displays.
- VMware vCloud® Air™ Incentive Program - To help users get familiar with the benefits of cloud computing, VMware Workstation 12 Pro customers are eligible to receive $600 in vCloud Air service credit to use for up to 6 months -- twice the standard VMware vCloud Air sign-up offer.
VMware Workstation 12 Player
VMware Workstation 12 Player™ (formerly VMware Player Pro) is a streamlined offering of VMware Workstation 12 Pro that is ready for Windows 10, offers enhanced 3-D graphics support and improved virtual machine performance. With its intuitive interface and easy setup, VMware Workstation 12 Player is another option for IT professionals to deliver a corporate virtual desktop to employees, contractors or customers.
Centralized Management of Distributed Virtual Desktops
VMware Workstation customers interested in managing virtual machines can upgrade to VMware Horizon® FLEX™. With the ability to centrally provision, manage and secure virtual desktops and applications running locally on PCs using policy-based controls, VMware Horizon FLEX is the ideal solution for customers who are looking to provide added management capabilities to their VMware Workstation install base.
New System Requirements
While 32 bit operating systems are supported inside virtual machines, VMware Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player requires 64 bit processors and 64 bit host operating systems for advanced computing and modern application ecosystems.
Availability and Pricing
VMware Workstation 12 Pro and VMware Workstation 12 Player are available for purchase immediately for $249.99 and $149.99 respectively.
VMware Workstation 10 and 11 customers can upgrade to VMware Workstation 12 Pro for $149.99. VMware Player 6 Plus and Player 7 Pro customers can upgrade to Workstation 12 Player for $79.99.
Customers who purchased VMware Workstation 11 and VMware Player 7 Plus between July 29, 2015 and September 30, 2015 will receive a free electronic upgrade to VMware Workstation 12 and VMware Workstation 12 Player respectively. For more details, visit the upgrade page.
Download a free trial at the VMware Workstation trial page.
- Learn more about VMware Workstation 12 Pro on the VMware Workstation Zealot Blog
- Follow the VMware Workstation team on Twitter and Facebook
VMware is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and business mobility. Built on VMware's industry-leading virtualization technology, our solutions deliver a brave new model of IT that is fluid, instant and more secure. Customers can innovate faster by rapidly developing, automatically delivering and more safely consuming any application. With 2014 revenues of $6 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers and 75,000 partners. The company is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout.
VMware, VMware Workstation, vCloud, vCloud Air, Horizon, and Horizon FLEX are registered trademarks or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. The use of the word "partner" or "partnership" does not imply a legal partnership relationship between VMware and any other company.
(i) Performance metrics based on VMware testing.
New Product Line Extends Brocade Innovation and Leadership in Storage Networking
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD)
- Helps Maximize ROI and reduceOpEx for Brocade Fibre Channel SAN infrastructures
- Enables IT staff to monitor, analyze, and take corrective actions for application data flowing between servers and storage devices
- Allows organizations to improve operational stability and deliver predictable application performance
- Deploys in just minutes, with zero downtime for both applications and network infrastructure
Brocade (NASDAQ: BRCD) today announced continued innovation in its Fibre Channel Storage Area Network (SAN) solutions with the introduction of the Brocade® Analytics Monitoring Platform. Representing a new product line for the company, the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform allows organizations to achieve greater ROI and reduced OpEx for their mission-critical applications by providing IT staff with the highest levels of monitoring and analytics between servers and storage. As a result, organizations can better ensure predictable performance and operational stability for their IT infrastructures.
Monitoring and analyzing IT infrastructure performance has been a complex, time-consuming task that requires complete end-to-end network knowledge to optimize application performance. Typically, IT staff have had two alternatives -- manual methods that use Excel spreadsheets, or expensive automated tools that add complexity, expose the network to security risks, and require application and network outages during the installation, configuration, and tuning process. The new Brocade solution represents a much simpler design and deployment architecture that is superior to these traditional alternatives.
Today, many enterprises rely on guesswork and the accrued experience of IT staff to maintain application Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and to identify and resolve issues across their compute, network, and storage resources. As requirements for 100 percent network availability continue to grow, a lack of complete visibility into the IT infrastructure can cause excessive and unnecessary application performance impact and downtime events as IT staff struggle to quickly identify and resolve bottlenecks, configuration mistakes, and other conditions that prevent predictable performance for network-connected servers and storage.
Moreover, because existing monitoring and analytics solutions are very expensive, IT organizations often exclude the monitoring of server-attached ports, and even some storage-attached ports due to budget constraints -- making it impossible to get direct visibility into the behavior of all devices and preventing true, end-to-end monitoring of traffic flows, This limited visibility also eliminates direct monitoring of fabric latency between the servers and the storage.
The Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform is designed to help enterprises transform their environments to mitigate these risks. It is a dedicated, purpose-built storage network appliance for measuring application- and device-level I/O performance and traffic behaviors without compromising security or placing additional strain on compute, storage, or network resources. The appliance analyzes traffic for all network-connected devices, including data flows between both servers and storage devices, to provide end-to-end visibility into the performance of all applications.
With the ability to analyze an unprecedented 20,000 data flows and millions of IOPS on a single system, the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform calculates and analyzes vast amounts of metrics from across the network, including network-connected devices, to uncover the often-subtle causes of infrastructure issues that diminish performance and availability. Performance history and trends are also tracked, enabling IT staff to proactively monitor and resolve issues, often before they occur.
"To meet the demand of application and data growth, enterprises are deploying virtualized and cloud environments with the tradeoffs of increased costs, complexity, and potential downtime," said Jack Rondoni, vice president of storage networking at Brocade. "The Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform not only provides end-to-end visibility that was not available previously, but it also improves the ROI for storage infrastructures by providing in-depth, fabric-wide metrics."
"The ability to most efficiently optimize a SAN environment requires end-to-end visibility into performance statistics associated with all attached network devices," said Eric Burgener, research director, storage at IDC. "Brocade's Analytics Monitoring Platform offers that in a centralized management platform that provides a comprehensive view of what is happening across the entire fabric, with the additional benefits of simple, rapid and non-intrusive deployment based on 'virtual tap' technology that is pre-integrated into all Brocade Gen 5 hardware. Solutions like this will enable enterprises to get more out of their existing SANs, more reliably meet service level objectives, better maintain operational stability, and more accurately plan expansions."
A Better Design for IT Infrastructure Monitoring
The Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform design is unique in directly connecting into a single port on a Brocade Gen 5 Fibre Channel director or switch to non-invasively collect select information from storage and host ports. The appliance is then able to calculate detailed I/O performance metrics about the server and storage data flows using dual, onboard data processors. Not only is the appliance able to calculate latency for all connected devices within the SAN fabric, but it can also directly measure fabric latency, the time it takes for data to traverse the network itself. The design simplicity also creates an ROI advantage by allowing a single appliance to massively scale out to accommodate very large SAN environments without creating additional costs.
With this innovative architecture, the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform can be installed and configured in minutes, without requiring any network downtime because of its direct utilization of Brocade Gen 5 hardware and Brocade Fabric Vision™ technology.
To support proactive management of the network infrastructure, the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform helps organizations establish baselines, identify trends, and deliver information about behavioral threshold settings. When used with Brocade Network Advisor management software, the appliance can generate reports to show both granular and summary data, so that storage teams can demonstrate compliance with application performance SLAs. Brocade Network Advisor also allows organizations to "play back" historic information collected from the analytics platform, an invaluable tool in investigating performance issues or learning more about behavioral trends and patterns in order to optimize device and application performance.
In addition, the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform complements the features and functionality of the Brocade SAN Content Pack for vRealize to improve overall IT infrastructure visibility within highly virtualized VMware environments. The Brocade SAN Content Pack for vRealize Log Insight eliminates "noise" from millions of events and amplifies critical SAN alerts to accelerate troubleshooting with actionable analytics.
End-to-end professional services are included with every Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform for tasks such as initial setup and configuration, tuning, reporting, and network optimization. Additional professional services will be optionally available, including ongoing tuning and optimization services, analysis of the appliance's configuration data, fine tuning of all settings, and SAN infrastructure analysis.
Pricing and Availability
The Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform is available now directly from Brocade. For pricing information, please contact the company at Brocade.com.
"Ease of deployment with no requirement to take a network outage to install is what impressed us the most about the Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform. We are working to deploy our first systems later this year and look forward to having a deeper visibility across our entire IT infrastructure to monitor IO-Latency in our storage environment to ensure SLA compliance to our customers."
Markus Schreiber, Global Head of Storage
"The Brocade Analytics Monitoring Platform will enable our joint customers to achieve greater OpEx savings by eliminating the learning curve and downtime associated with managing fabric-wide data flows and delivering more predictable performance between servers and storage systems. Together, Brocade and Hitachi IT infrastructure solutions and advanced analytics capabilities simplify cloud and big data infrastructures so users can focus their energy on larger business challenges."
Linda Xu, Vice President, Worldwide Product Marketing:
Hitachi Data Systems
Brocade blog: Gaining Deeper Insight into Your Applications
© 2015 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
ADX, Brocade, Brocade Assurance, the B-wing symbol, DCX, Fabric OS, HyperEdge, ICX, MLX, MyBrocade, OpenScript, The Effortless Network, VCS, VDX, Vplane, and Vyatta are registered trademarks, and Fabric Vision and vADX are trademarks of Brocade Communications Systems, Inc., in the United States and/or in other countries. Other brands, products, or service names mentioned may be trademarks of others.