Mike McClain, Web Editor
November 30, 2012
Hurricane Season Ends, but Preparedness is Year Round
ATLANTA – Today marks the end of the 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season, but disasters aren’t limited to hurricanes or a specific time of year. Emergencies can happen anytime, anywhere, and it’s important to be prepared year round.
“While today is the end of an active hurricane season, it serves as an important reminder of just how critical it is for all of us to be prepared so that we can protect our families, homes, businesses and communities from the potentially devastating effects of a disaster,” said Phil May, Federal Emergency Management Agency Region IV Administrator. “There are some simple steps we should all take, such as make a family communications plan and put together a disaster supplies kit, which will help keep us safe when we’re faced with an emergency.”
Emergencies can range from natural disasters such as flooding, tornadoes and hurricanes, to events such as power outages. Visit www.Ready.gov to learn about different hazards, and how to prepare for them.
Here are a few tips to help you get ready:
Most communities may be impacted by several types of hazards during a lifetime--be informed about the hazards that exist in your area.
When tailoring your family communications plan, consider working with others to create networks of neighbors, relatives, friends and co-workers who will assist each other in an emergency.
Among the items in your basic disaster supplies kit, include enough food for at least three days, and one gallon of water per person per day.
Since you can’t predict where you will be for disasters, it’s important to have plans and supplies for the locations you and your household go to regularly.
Flooding is the most common and costly natural disaster, but standard homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding. To protect your property, consider getting flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program.
Check out opportunities to get involved in programs and activities to make your family, home and community safer from risks and threats.
FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Edward Jones is one of the nation's fastest-growing financial services firms. We currently service 7 million clients through our network of more than 11,000 branch offices. We are seeking highly motivated, results-oriented individuals as we continue to grow and meet the needs of the long-term individual investor.
Our commitment to providing a workplace that both challenges us and rewards our associates has contributed to our inclusion in FORTUNE magazine's list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For 2012" in America. The firm has appeared on the list 13 times, including the No. 5 ranking for large-sized companies this year.
Business Continuity Planning Manager
This position is responsible for the continued development and maintenance of an assigned portfolio of Business Continuity Plans that includes a selection of business divisions and home/branch office locations across the US and/or Canada.
• Partner with key business owners and coordinators to design, implement, and maintain Business Continuity Plans as well as to ensure plans are tested for critical firm functions
• Work with various divisions of the firm to ensure compliance with the industry's Business Continuity Planning regulatory requirements; with particular emphasis on Business Constituents, Vendors and Service Providers as well as internal training, exercising and testing with critical third parties
• Responsible for the daily coordination and support of the divisions in their BCP activities and assigned projects as needed
• Maintain and continue the functions of the BCP department and the BCP Program (back-up role), during normal and unusual circumstances, in the event of the absence or availability of the BCP Director
• Bachelors Degree
• Certified Business Contingency Planner (CBCP) or Member of the Business Continuity Institute (MBCI) or willingness to obtain such certification preferred, but not required
• Minimum of 5 years experience in Business Continuity Planning. Part of that experience could be in fields that would be considered equivalent responsibility levels
• Ability to collaborate with Division BCP leaders and coordinators to develop and maintain plans and to conduct training, exercising and testing programs for each division, and across the firm
• Ability to understand (or learn) vendor business functions as well as the Information Systems (IS) functions relating to vendor business functions and services is required
• Understanding of the BCP regulatory requirements that are applied to the Securities Industry and particularly those requirements that relate to Business Constituents and Vendors and Service Providers as well as Training, Exercising and Testing
• Strong project management skills.
• Basic understanding of IS data center recovery methodologies in order to effectively consider those in the business area plans.
• Demonstrated Thought Leadership competencies which include: strategic and critical thinking skills, planning and organizational skills, and ability to drive projects and concepts to completion
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to work at all levels of management, including senior management
• Knowledge of business continuity planning, as demonstrated through the certifications noted above.
• Knowledge of the Financial Services Industry.
• Basic understanding of BCP Training and Exercising concepts and procedures.
• Knowledge of standard MS Office systems (Excel, Word, Powerpoint).
The Disaster Recovery Engineer is responsible for developing, implementing and supporting the enterprise IT disaster recovery management (DRM) program. This program must support the timely IT operations recovery following the occurrence of an IT outage or disaster..
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in the design and implementation of the Global disaster recovery program including policies, strategies, plans, tests, metrics, standards, and maturity assessments.
• Conduct business impact analyses and assist business units to determine critical business processes and applications, review actual recovery against documented acceptable recovery time periods, and establish IT resources required for the successful resumption of business operations in the event of a disaster.
• Coordinate, facilitate and provide detailed direction for disaster recovery testing of critical systems. Works with IT staff to assure recovery procedures are effective for the restoration of critical IT-supported business processes and applications.
• Assist with developing and maintaining IT disaster recovery plans, documentation standards and procedures and providing training and guidance to IT staff.
• Develop corporate plans and templates; work with both corporate and remote business units to ensure they understand the requirements and best practices and assist in the development of their program, procedures and processes. Review contracts and offerings from external recovery providers.
Paradigm Solutions International, a leader in Business Continuity Planning/Continuity of Operations (COOP) software and services is currently looking for seasoned, self-motivated Part -time BCP consulting professional. The successful candidates should have a minimum of 3 years consulting experience, preferably with working knowledge of Business Continuity planning.
- 3 years of Consulting experience preferably in Business Continuity Planning
- Self motivated and capable of being productive in short time frame
- Adaptable, innovative, enthusiastic, and professional
- Strong oral and written communication and negotiation skills
- Capable of working in a team environment and a team player
- Possess excellent PC skills (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook)
- Willingness to travel.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and prefer CBCP, MBCP, MBCI, PCP, or MCP designation.
In addition to our competitive salary plans, our firm offers a comprehensive benefits package.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and reserve the right to perform substance abuse testing. A criminal background check is required and an offer is contingent upon results.
To be considered, please send cover letter, resume and salary history in confidence to PSIjobs@paradigimsi.com . (No phone calls).
Streamline the process of creating and
maintaining BC plans to fit the way
your organization operates
ResilienceONE® BCM software by Strategic BCP® provides a comprehensive, convenient way to achieve Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery, BIA, Risk Assessment, and Crisis Management within one cloud-based solution. Unlike hard-copy plans or software with limited linkages, ResilienceONE's fully integrated relational database links all related business processes, associated assets, personnel, facilities, and vendors—the way they support your organization.
The most well documented BCM foundation in the industry makes ResilienceONE better by design. We call it the BCP Genome™. It is a series of 101 criteria distilled and synthesized from leading industry standards, regulations, and best practices to ensure your compliance with the relevant standards for your industry.
Our 98% customer retention rate since 2004 says it all. And the experience of our team of BCM practitioners—consultants, supporting software developers, and customer support specialists—complements our powerful software. This collective expertise makes ResilienceONE more versatile and adaptable to your organization's day-to-day and strategic needs.
Why companies choose ResilienceONE®
- Migrate easily from existing plans and systems
- Start building plans in the first week
- Use common business terms, not jargon
- Affordable fixed cost for unlimited users
- No hidden costs, no add-on modules
- FREE and seamless configuration and training
If you’re looking for failproof disaster recovery, consider EVault® Cloud Disaster Recovery Service. Today’s only full-service backup and recovery provider offers the only DR service that gives you:
An experienced team of DR services experts available 24/7/365
Simple, secure access to recovered systems in an ironclad cloud
Guaranteed recovery, backed by 4-, 24-, and 48-hour SLA options
EVault Cloud Disaster Recovery Service
For managed recovery of critical data and systems in a top-tier cloud—guaranteed by SLAs—you need EVault Cloud Disaster Recovery Service.
Learn More about EVault Disaster Recovery
Business Continuity Consulting
Avalution Consulting, 2012 BC/DR Company of the Year (award by the Business Continuity Institute North America), is a U.S. based firm that specializes in business continuity, continuity of operations planning (COOP) and IT disaster recovery consulting, outsourcing and software solutions.
From global corporations to local non-profits, we have served the unique needs of organizations in nearly all levels of government and across every industry sector. This experience provides us with a deep understanding of the unique characteristics, requirements and drivers associates with each industry and positions our consulting teams to efficiently deliver recommendations aligned to professional best practices. Leveraging our knowledge and experience saves our clients time and money and results in credible, high-performing solutions. Please view our Project Examples to explore industry-specific projects completed by our team.
What is business continuity? Avalution designed two presentations to provide an overview of business continuity planning concepts and processes, and answer the question, What is Business Continuity?
Catalyst Business Continuity Software
Catalyst is web-based business continuity software that combines a simple user interface and on-screen guides with Avalution’s industry-leading methodology to make continuity planning easy and repeatable for every organization, regardless of size. Features include Policy & Procedure development, Business Impact Analysis, Recovery Strategy Definition, Plan Development (business continuity plan templates – business and IT), Exercising, and General Program Management.
Easy set-up, minimal training, customized plans, no contracts, hosted and secure (so nothing extra to buy or install on your end). These are just a few ways Catalyst will make your life easier and have you up and running in no time.
On-screen guides, role-based security, automated workflows, heavily integrated data, and easy plan editing are just a few ways Catalyst will drive efficiency into your program and reduce administrative burden!
Catalyst is the most cost-effective software on the market today. Even better, no long-term contracts are required. Pay monthly, cancel anytime.
The Planning Portal Business Continuity Software
Avalution also offers an enterprise level business continuity software solution based on the simplicity of Microsoft SharePoint 2010. The Planning Portal is web-based business continuity software that delivers highly customizable tools and processes to assist in managing and executing business continuity, continuity of operations (COOP) and IT disaster recovery programs. Solutions address analysis, planning, awareness generation, exercise planning, notification, live crisis/incident management and continuous improvement.
Schedule a demo today and find out how The Planning Portal will add value to your organization and save you time and money.
Disaster Recovery Services: Offsite. Managed. Guaranteed.
What do you want in a cloud disaster recovery service?
An experienced team of disaster recovery services specialists available 24/7/365 to manage planning, testing, and actual recovery processes. Simple (via the Internet) and secure (via an SSL VPN) access to your recovered systems and data stored in an ironclad cloud. And a guaranteed recovery time, backed by 4-, 24- and 48-hour Service Level Agreement options* so you can choose the RTO that's right for your business. Only one disaster recovery service fits that profile: EVault® Cloud Disaster Recovery Service.
Managed, rapid recovery of critical data and systems in the top-tier rated, SSAE 16-compliant EVault cloud after a disaster—guaranteed by SLAs
Experienced team of EVault DR specialists to plan, test, and execute disaster recovery processes
Secure, remote access to recovered systems over the Internet (via an SSL VPN) for as long as you need it
4-hour SLA includes proactive failover for a zero downtime option for planned maintenance, upgrades, and outages
EVault Cloud Disaster Recovery Service: Essentials
|Package||4-Hour SLA||24-Hour SLA||48-Hour SLA
|Protected Platforms||Windows Server 2003 and 2008; Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, File Server, and SharePoint; Blackberry Server||Microsoft Windows, IBM i, IBM AIX, Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux, and VMware environments||Microsoft Windows, IBM i, IBM AIX, Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux, and VMware environments|
|Comprehensive Package||Hosted Active Directory VM, storage, secure network protocols, SSL VPN and IPSec tunnel (for secure cloud recovery)||EVault System Restore (for Windows systems), VMs, storage, secure network protocols, SSL VPN (for secure cloud recovery)||EVault System Restore (for Windows systems), VMs, storage, secure network protocols, SSL VPN (for secure cloud recovery)|
|Cloud Infrastructure||Remote, top-tier data centers serving as a “hot cloud”—an extension to your production environment—for your key systems||Remote, top-tier data centers serving as a “warm site” for your key systems||Remote, top-tier data centers serving as a “warm site” for your key systems|
|DR Test||One (1) complete DR test||One (1) complete DR test||One (1) complete DR test|
How Does It Work?
EVault Cloud Disaster Recovery Service backs up or replicates your systems to the secure EVault cloud. When there’s a disaster, your critical systems are quickly recovered as virtual machines (VMs).
Contact our 24/7/365 hotline and declare a disaster. We restore your systems and data to a secure virtual environment in the Evault cloud, per the SLA option you've selected. You get access via a secure VPN connection, so it doesn't matter where you are. Then it's business as usual while systems are re-established at your site.
* The guarantee is set forth in the EVault Cloud Disaster Recovery Service Level Agreement, and includes service credits and the right to terminate if the guarantee is not met.
- EVault Disaster Recovery
EVault® delivers cost-effective disaster recovery. Off-site replication means data recovery, and regulatory compliance, are easily assured. Whether you backup to the EVault cloud or utilize off-site replication, you can easily monitor and manage everything from a web browser. When you need to restore data, it’s as easy as point and click.
EVault Remote Disaster Recovery Services
You’ll be able to remotely access a virtual network of your key servers—hosted at a secure EVault data center staffed by professionals—within hours following a site-wide or regional disaster. Before disaster strikes, we’ll provide a documented Data Recovery Plan and Data Recovery Testing to ensure things go smoothly. Learn more
EVault Disaster Recovery Test Services
Our professional services team can help you develop a systematic disaster recovery testing plan so you’re well prepared to return to normal operations following a disaster or data loss. We’ll conduct tests on-site, analyze and document the results, and recommend ways to address issues such as regulatory compliance. Learn more
EVault Offsite Replication Service
Could you use the benefits of an offsite disaster recovery center without the burden of upfront costs and ongoing maintenance or administration? This affordable subscription-based service seamlessly extends your onsite EVault Software deployment, mirroring backup data to a secure EVault data center. Learn more
Get world-class online data backups without the capital expenses. EVault SaaS data backup services provide small, midsize, and large businesses with automated, secure, reliable, and efficient cloud-connected backup and recovery directly through the Internet. Learn more
EVault System Restore
EVault System Restore ensures your organization will recover from any system failure, no matter what. Our system restore software brings failed systems back online in minutes so your operations and revenue can continue to flow virtually uninterrupted. Learn more
Cloud-Connected Disaster Recovery Services:
- EVault® Remote Disaster Recovery
- EVault® Disaster Recovery Test Services
- EVault® Replication Service
- EVault® SaaS
- EVault® System Restore
- Call us: 1.877.901.DATA (3282)
- Chat with us: Join Chat
- Visit http://www.i365.com
Cloud-based services are here to stay. Cloud services are even more attractive for companies who are being hit with the high cost of meeting compliance requirements - especially for small and mid-size companies that have shrinking or no information security budget.
In Trusted Data Assurance in the Cloud, author and information security expert Felix Santos offers business executives and IT technology experts valuable advice and recommendations about how to prepare your company for cloud adoption. Santos discusses:
- Information security and data protection in the cloud
- Recent cloud standards and audit initiatives
- Evaluation criteria for selecting a cloud provider that offers trusted data assurance to customers
About the Author:
Felix A. Santos, CISA, CISM is responsible for information security and compliance for i365 and EVault worldwide data centers. In this role, Felix oversees all facets of IT governance including information security programs, policy enforcement, and data center security audits and compliance. Felix has direct reporting responsibility to the president and general manager of i365, and security reporting responsibility to the chief information security officer (CISO) at Seagate Technology.
Episode 1: "Getting Real about Getting Virtual."
The CIO shares his vision but tensions mount when the team doesn't see eye-to-eye.
Episode 2: "Crunch Go The Numbers"
Is the virtual workforce getting a little physical? A late night of brainstorming about cost savings through virtualization brings two unlikely people together.
Episode 3: "Lightning Strikes a Deal"
The CIO shares his vision but tensions mount when the team doesn't see eye-to-eye.