Conference Justification Kit
- Published on Thursday, August 14, 2008
- Written by Web Editor
How To Justify Attending A Conference
In today’s lean economy, many travel and education budgets have been cut. Yet, there is still a great need for training for employees. The education you will receive at DRJ’s Spring World 2009 is very valuable, but you may need to validate to management your reasons for wanting to attend.
DRJ has compiled a kit that will help with those needs. We have included several helpful items, including a return on investment letter and a customized letter to management .
It is important that you let management know the valuable education you will receive at DRJ’s conference. Stress the classes, workshops and courses you will attend. A few ideas to include when compiling your request:
- SAMPLE TRIP REPORT: Create a trip report after the conference. This report should discuss the sessions you have attended and how you will apply those to current projects in your organization. Once your manager sees how much you have learned during the week and how it can be applied in your organization, they will be more likely to send you to a conference again. Click here for a sample trip report that may be used when presenting your request.
- CONFERENCE MATERIALS: Offer to share the information with co-workers. Bring home your conference materials to let co-workers share in the conference experience. If desired, you can create a slideshow or other presentation to report to others in your office. DRJ provides complete conference materials to our attendees. Include the benefits of having this material in your request. For a list of conference materials attendees receive, click here .
- PAST CONFERENCE AGENDAS: If you’ve attended the conference in the past, make note of changes you have implemented in your organization based on information you learned at the conference. Be sure to include mention of specific sessions that were instrumental in the changes. If possible, list any cost savings that resulted from the change. To view past brochures of our conferences, click here.
- CURRENT SESSION LINEUP: Calculate the cost of meeting with a consultant. At Spring World 2009, you will have direct access to dozens of industry consultants. Information sharing, question-and-answer sessions and networking are a vital part of the conference experience. The solutions you can find at the conference can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in consulting fees. For a list of sessions and speakers who will be at Spring World 2009, click here .
- PAST EXHIBITOR GUIDE: The exhibition hall runs concurrently with Spring World 2009. Attendees have ample time to explore the hall, see product demonstrations and talk with vendors about their services. It’s the perfect time to investigate products your company may need, without the expense of doing independent research and traveling to the vendor’s site. To see a past exhibitor guide, click here .
- PAST ATTENDING COMPANIES: Interact with peers who share the same goals in the industry. These networking contacts can be invaluable once you return to work. The contacts you make at the conference can provide input far into the future on a variety of work-related topics. To view a selection of companies who have sent employees to a past conference, click here.
- DRJ COST-SAVING FEATURES: Provide an accurate estimate of expenses you will incur. Be sure to include all travel costs, dining and lodging expenses, and cost of materials. DRJ has many money saving features for Spring World 2009. For a list of DRJ’s money-saving features to include in your report, click here.