The latest research suggests that the Pacific Northwest may get slammed by a giant, coastal earthquake of magnitude 8 to 9 every 250 years on average — and it's been 313 years since the last one. Earthquakes may be unpredictable — but they are also inevitable. Here are some tips to help you get ready before the next one hits. Read the story for more.
By Kelly Shea
The Seattle Times
Create a family emergency plan
- Hold a home evacuation drill.
- Choose a nearby meeting place.
- Have a plan for reuniting.
- Anticipate transportation failures.
- Designate an out-of-state relative to be a check-in contact for everyone.
- Mobile apps, like the Red Cross’ earthquake app, can allow family members to communicate.
- Keep photos of family members and pets in your wallet, in case they turn up missing.
- Text messages often go through when phone service is down.