Data Protection – Caringo’s CTO de-mystifies Replication and Erasure Coding for Object Storage
- Published on February 12, 2013
- Written by Mike McClain, Senior Web Designer & Site Manager
AUSTIN, Texas – Data loss in storage systems is unavoidable, in spite of what most storage vendors try to make users believe, says Paul Carpentier, CTO and Co-Founder of Caringo, the leading provider of object storage software.
By selecting the right solution and applying the appropriate parameters, however, users can control both the probability of data loss, as well as the size of the data loss based upon their business requirements. Carpentier, the ‘Car’ in Caringo, provides insight into the specifics of this process as it relates to Object Storage which is the de facto standard for enabling Cloud Storage, Big Data Storage and any rapidly scaling storage environment. The whitepaper is available at: www.caringo.com/wp-reps-and-ec.
The paper includes the following:
• The truth most storage vendors don’t tell you about data protection
• Why you need both replication and erasure coding
• An introduction to Caringo’s Elastic Content Protection
• Graphs comparing data loss resulting from replication and erasure coding
• Using Caringo’s Data Durability Calculator to calculate storage efficiency and data durability (as a factor of 9s)
The full paper can be downloaded from the Caringo website at: www.caringo.com/wp-reps-and-ec.