STORServer announces version 4.5 of Archive Backup Client for OpenVMS
- Published on August 14, 2012
- Written by Mike McClain, Senior Web Designer & Site Manager
COLORADO SPRINGS –– STORServer®, the leading provider of proven data backup solutions for the mid-market, today announces the availability of version 4.5 of its Archive Backup Client for OpenVMS, which allows users to include their OpenVMS servers in their heterogeneous IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager backup solution.
The updates to the enterprise backup software include a major enhancement to file backup speed and performance when backing up thousands of files in a single directory. In addition, ABC v4.5 supports the POSIX-style file systems introduced in OpenVMS v8.3, and provides various other minor enhancements and bug fixes. The performance update is also available in ABC v188.8.131.52, OpenVMS v6.2 through v7.1 on the Alpha platform, and OpenVMS v5.5-2 and newer on the VAX platform.
“These enhancements bypass a long-standing and well-known issue within the OpenVMS file system with these kinds of large directories,” said Steve Jensen, vice president of software engineering for STORServer. “We’ve verified backup performance improvements of nearly 30 times the throughput of the previous implementation. These updates are a really big deal for our current and prospective ABC customers.”
With ABC, users can backup, archive, restore, query and manage OpenVMS files stored on TSM servers as a logical extension to the online OpenVMS ODS-2 or ODS-5 file systems. Other features include:
- Protection of OpenVMS files stored on TSM servers
- Automation and scheduling saves time and resources
- Ad hoc backup and archive requests
- Full user authentication protects data
- Easy-to-use, flexible and familiar DCL-like interface
- AliasWise™ handling of complex alias file structures ensures accuracy
- Policy-based management and support of hundreds of storage devices
- Advance Encryption Standard 256 bit encryption
ABC v4.5 may be installed as a new product or as an upgrade from any previous version.
STORServer offers a complete suite of enterprise backup appliances, plus software and services for IBM TSM customers that solve today’s backup, archive and disaster recovery challenges. To learn more about ABC v4.5, visit http://storserver.com/BackupAgent.aspx. For more information on the company’s line of data backup solutions, visit http://www.storserver.com.