The #1 Business Continuity Publication in the World!
Every issue, Disaster Recovery Journal (DRJ) delivers how-to, in depth knowledge into business continuity planning more than any other business publication. This unique ability to take readers further inside the issues has made DRJ the #1 read business continuity publication in the world, one with a circulation and audience that consistently dominates the business continuity magazine field. Add to this strength that we have consistently higher ad recall than our competitors in every major advertising category and the DRJ advantage becomes clear.
LONDON – The insurance industry must be prepared for future market challenges, the quickening pace of customer-driven commerce and the continuing spread of the digital economy, says Ovum. According to the independent global analysts, insurers can improve their competitive position by implementing predictive analytics and using the wealth of rich data available from social media channels and conceptual sources such as the ‘Internet of Things’.
A new report* from Ovum suggests that in order to be better prepared, insurers should focus on creative initiatives that analyse data from a number of sources, including social media, third parties and machine-to-machine communications. By concentrating predictive analytics on key areas of the business – namely business operations, marketing and customer relations – insurers will be able to determine which markets to enter or leave, shape target market initiatives and estimate potential losses for the book of business as each customer is added.
Insurers are already well aware of the impending threats/challenges including tightening regulation, demanding customers, an ageing population and weakened economies,” says Barry Rabkin. “The critical differentiator for insurers will be minimising future risk thorough predictive analytics by tapping into the vast amounts of rich data.”
Finally, Rabkin reveals that a new role is emerging – the data scientist role – and this will be as important as the well-known data miner role in the insurance industry. Ovum is already seeing a growing number of insurance companies creating new departments of these types of quantitatively skilled professionals. This role will take a deeper approach to research (i.e. collect more data and explore more hypotheses) and generate recommendations that are scalable down to individual lines of insurance business. Ovum believes that data scientists and data miners will work closely together to discuss "what if" questions regarding their predictive analytics initiatives.
Subscribe to DRJ!
Thank you for joining the DRJ.com community. This site is the one place to find the latest information, network with practitioners and discover new technologies and solutions. By registering with the site, you will receive access to our archives, be emailed our information blasts and receive our quarterly magazine via mail.
Disaster Recovery Journal is the premier magazine in the business continuity industry. Since its inception in 1987, the Journal has provided our readers with reliable information on disasters, services, trends, products and more.
DRJ.com Membership Benefits:
Free Mail Delivery of DRJ's Quarterly Journals
Free Access to the DRJ Archives
Alerts to the #1 BC/DR Conference
Post Blogs For Free
- Prof Steve Peters to deliver keynote speech at the Business Continuity Institute World Conference
- Risk Assessments-the Cornerstone of Your Compliance Program, Part I
- Beyond Data Back-Up Requirements to E-Discovery Compliance
- Alternate Site Logistics – the Devil is in the Details
- Napa Quake Economic Loss Estimates at $1 Billion
- Earthquake Early Warning System Successfully Alerted California Researchers
- Napa Earthquake Showcases Limits of Lower-Cost Retrofitting
- Strong Earthquake Strikes Napa: Business Impact?
- Privacy and Data Protection: The View from Europe
- Trying Something Different – the Desktop Risk Assessment
- San Francisco Bay Area Quake Is Largest Since Devastating Loma Prieta in 1989
- Earthquake in Napa, Calif., Leaves Widespread Damage
- BYOD Proponents Get Bad News in California
- Business continuity and the non profit sector
- IT's Big Data Challenges Extend Beyond Size
- Evacuation Assembly Points
- How the ‘Year of the Four Hurricanes’ Changed Florida’s Readiness
- Social Media Adds Hype to Storms Before They’re Storms
- Humanizing the Data Scientist
- Mommy, I Want To Be a Business Continuity Planner!
- What Can You Do When Risk Changes in a Third Party Relationship?
- Yin and Yang: Big Data and the Cloud
- A Proactive Approach to Travel Risk Management
- Managing mobile device risks
- Combatting Ebola through risk management: what your organization can do
- Business Continuity Institute Africa Awards
- IT outages are an ongoing problem for the U.S government
- The Enterprise in an App-Driven Universe
- Organizational resilience: yet another buzz word?
- Disaster-prone APEC economies step up risk-reduction and business continuity promotion
- IFMA publishes business continuity and emergency preparedness guidance
- 2014 BCI Asia Awards presented
- Working Paper Series Issue 2: Supply chain resilience
- IT Governance, Business Continuity and Missing Links
- California Ruling on Reimbursements to Complicate BYOD
- Ready CDC
- Most Companies Admit They Don’t Have a Very Effective Security Response Plan
- Big Data Success Requires More than New Technology
- Fear Outweighs Risk of Ebola, Experts Say
- Scientists are Building a Cyberinfrastructure to Predict and Visualize Wildfire Behavior
- Avaya and HP to Deliver Expanded Communications Services to the Enterprise
- HealthPlanOne Receives Marcum Tech Top 40 Award for 5th Consecutive Year
- Growth in Managed Services driven by new market entrants
- Perforce Enables Secure and Performant Continuous Delivery on VMware vCloud Air
- StorTrends Sees Strong Momentum as $10.9 Billion Market for Solid State Drives Escalates
- ICOR Members and Friends Save 20 Percent on American Bar Association Cybersecurity Webinar Series
- Icon Labs’ Floodgate Defender Embedded Software Solution Achieves McAfee Compatible Status
- PEAK'S ENTERPRISE CLASS CLOUD INFRASTRUCTURE RANKS CONSISTENTLY IN CLOUDSLEUTH’S TOP 10
- SI-BONE, Inc. Announces Positive Coverage Decision by Priority Health
- TEOCO ranked among USA's fastest-growing private companies for 2014
- Send Word Now Earns Spot On The Inc. 5000 List For Seventh Consecutive Year
- CloudSigma Expands Public Cloud Footprint with DRFortress in Hawaii
- Parallels Announces Parallels Desktop® 10 for Mac with OS X Yosemite Integration
- Monroe Capital Provides $14.3 Million Credit Facility to Venture Technologies
- CacheBox Announces Addition of Micron P420m PCIe SSD to Hardware Compatibility List
- CloudSigma Expands U.S. Cloud Presence with Equinix in Silicon Valley and Miami
- Flexera Software's InstallAnywhere 2014 Simplifies Multi-Platform Installation for Physical, Virtual and Cloud Environments
- Mobile device security - tackling the risks
- Telstra unveils next-gen Cloud Collaboration service for global businesses
- LeadCloud Closes $1M Series A Funding
- Maxta Introduces MaxDeploy Hyper-Converged Reference Architecture built on Intel Server Boards and Systems
- Nclouding Ltd. Chooses Userful as Preferred Entry-Level Desktop Virtualization Solution
- Virtual Application Load Balancing Tops 10Gbps with KEMP’s Virtual LoadMaster
- CloudSigma Enhances Hybrid Cloud Solutions with Equinix Cloud Exchange
- ZETTA.NET LAUNCHES FIRST DIRECT TO CLOUD SAAS-BASED SERVER IMAGE BACKUP WITH BUILT-IN WAN ACCELERATION
- Dot Hill Innovation Streamlines Backup and Recovery Operations
- Implementing ISO 22301: ICOR BCMS Elearning Course
- Eaton Provides Energy Efficiency, Cost Savings with Expanded Line of Wheelock Exceder LED Series Ceiling Notification Appliances
- Information Builders and Arrow to Expand Market Reach of Self-Service Business Intelligence Solutions
- The New Planview Acquires Projectplace in Next Phase of Company Transformation
- Riverbed SteelFusion Gives Alamos Gold A Competitive Edge By Enhancing Real-Time Collaboration, Improving Data Protection and Reducing IT Costs
- GFT and Tech Trailblazers blazing trails to create new FinTech Trailblazers Award
- CacheBox Application Acceleration Software Increases Online Transactions per Second by 56x While Reducing Latency by 98%
- Kroll Ontrack announces new version of its proprietary Remote Data Recovery service
- Insurance Telematics and Smartphone UBI Tested by The Driveway Software Data Challenge
- ExaGrid Systems Named a Visionary in Magic Quadrant for Deduplication Backup Target Appliances
- Lights, Camera, Avere! Avere Dominates Special Effects Industry in 2013 and 2014
- Send Word Now® And Karcsi Global, LLC Partner To Offer Emergency Notification Services In Latin America
- NAKIVO Improves VM Recovery Time by 10X for an Internet and Cloud Provider
- Telstra launches new low latency service from Australian Liquidity Center to Aurora Data Center